Monday, March 19, 2012

The Little Wreath That Could

Sometimes you have a vision of how a craft should be in your head...then you go to the Dollar Store and Micheal's and nobody has what you need, or what you need for your back up plan, so you end up standing in the middle of the store with your cranky two year old trying to come up with a plan C in your head because you simply AREN'T leaving without stuff to make an Easter wreath gosh dang it!  Ya' know what I mean?

So my third choice hastily conceived Easter wreath concoction involved a foam wreath form (not the size and shape I originally wanted because apparently there was a run on wreath forms last week), fun fur (not in the color I wanted because Micheal's does not carry green fun fur), and a two pack of birds from the Dollar Store (these, at least were what I wanted.)

I went home that night, got out my hot glue gun and went to work.  It was an easy, but time consuming process.  I glued the end of the fun fur on the foam form to start and then just wrapped around and around and around, stopping every six or eight revolutions to squeeze some glue on the back of the wreath and press the strand of fun fur down into it.  Approximately one hour (and one burned finger...why do I ALWAYS burn myself every time I use a hot glue gun?) later I had my first draft of the Easter wreath.  I will not show a photo here.  Let's just say that when I showed it to my husband he said, "Uh...it's really furry."  Which was followed by, "Is that all there is?"  Clearly this was not the reaction that I was shooting for.

A better woman would have admitted defeat and moved on to another idea.  But not me!  I'm far too stubborn.  (Plus I hate wasting time...and starting over would be admitting that my previous attempt was a waste of time.)  We just happened to be in TJ Maxx the next day and I spotted a little container of cute Easter eggs for $8.  Perfect.  I took them home and glued them to the front of the wreath.  (And, yes, I burned myself again.  I have a big, white blister to prove it.)  But here is the result:

I definitely think it would look better with just green fun fur as the background so that it looked like the eggs were sitting in grass.  (That was the original idea.)  But, all-in-all, I think it's cute.  And if anyone doesn't agree with me they can stick it in their ear.  =)  Just kidding.  OK not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment